The Wilderness Exchange serves as Denver's premier consignment venue for our customers to sell or trade-in outdoor gear they no longer need or want. We offer store credit or consignment terms for quality used outdoor equipment. We encourage you to check this page frequently, as we regularly update the list of items that we are looking for, as well as indicate which items and categories we are no longer accepting.
Please note, the buying and selling of used gear is limited to in-store only!
Gear must be high-quality, operable, and in good repair. Take a look around our store and consignment area to get a feel of what we take in. We prefer brands typically sold in our store, as well as other popular brands that are favored by outdoor enthusiasts. We are not opposed to taking in brands we have never seen, however they must be of a outdoor technical nature.
We consider condition, desirability, our inventory position, and current retail price when determining the value of an item. We will make an appraisal of current market value, and give you an honest and open assessment of what we think the value of the item is.
Store credit is offered for around half of current market value and has a lower appraisal than if the item were consigned. However, if you are looking to upgrade your kit, store credit may be a better option since it can be used on the spot. The full amount of store credit must be used at the time it is given for an item, (i.e. if you receive $40 in store credit, you must spend at least $40 total).
We work with you to find an agreeable selling price, and you recieve 60% of that value in cash when your item sells. The consignment period lasts for eight (8) weeks, as per the individually signed consignment agreement form. You will be contacted regarding any items that remain unsold after eight (8) weeks, and the items will be removed for pick-up. We will call or e-mail you to come pick up your items on three (3) separate occasions. If we do not hear back from you, we will select a donation date and your gear will be donated to a local charity.
We reserve the right to not accept used equipment for purchase or consignment at any time. We cannot guarantee that we will accept any or all of your items, but will do the best we can to serve your customer needs! Please call us in advance if you are making a special trip to the city to consign gear with us. Consignment clothing and sleeping bags must be laundered before we will accept them. We cannot accept dirty items. Any ski equipment must be backcountry oriented and of an A/T or Telemark style. No inbounds/resort oriented downhill ski boots/bindings will be accepted!
Please note that we do not consign any of the following items:
- Used carabiners
- Climbing gear made of nylon or webbing
- Socks or underwear due to health/sanitary considerations
You must bring in your drivers license, or any other form of state issued identification, to receive a cash payout.
We are unable to pay you without state issued identification information.
We are currently taking the following items:
- Three season (+15 to +25 degree) sleeping bags (down or synthetic) in clean condition
- Three season tents (clean and in good condition!)
- Spring season apparel (light-weight jackets and tops)
- Three season sleeping pads (must be fully functional, i.e. no leaks!)
- Mens and womens uninsulated/shell or rain jackets
- Mens and womens uninsulated/shell or rain pants
- Mens and womens light-weight vests
- Mens and womens outdoor casual layers (i.e. long sleeve button ups)
- Three season hiking footwear/waterproof hikers
- Sandals (i.e. Chaco, Teva, etc.)
- Men and womens spring/summer uninsulated hiking boots
- Rock climbing gear: climbing protection and climbing shoes
Categories and items we are not currently taking:
- All heavy winter gear (e.g. down jackets, insulated ski jackets and pants, etc.)
- Men and women down jackets
- Mens and womens softshell jackets
- Mens and womens fleece jackets (technical fleece preferred, ie. polarstretch)
- Mens and womens insulated outer and mid layers (down or synthetic)
- Mens and womens flannel button up shirts
- Cold weather (0 to +15 degree) sleeping bags (down or synthetic) in clean condition
- Backcountry skis and bindings of any sort (tech binding, AT and telemark) that are in good shape and working condition
- Winter ski/mountaineering backpacks
- Winter ice climbing gear (ice screws, tools, etc.)
- Nordic gear
You can reach the Consignment manager at (303)964-0708 with any questions before coming in. We highly recommend calling if you are uncertain that your item qualifies for consignment, or if you are making a special trip down to Denver.
Thank you for choosing to consign with The Wilderness Exchange!